Friday, April 10, 2009

Mountain Bluebird in Ohio!

On April 5th, a birder came across what they believed was a Mountain Bluebird at Oak Openings Metropark near Toledo, Ohio. That evening I checked out the area but as soon as I arrived, it started to rain and nothing was found. Finally on April 7th a couple birders discovered and confirmed the Mountain Bluebird at the corner of Wilkins Road and Rt. 295 – Ohio’s second record. Since it would be a state bird for me, I tagged along with Jen Brumfield and her dad Wednesday to chase it. It wasn’t five minutes before we spotted it sitting in a small bush along the road. We continued watching it for the next 30 minutes as it activity fed ignoring the oncoming traffic. I attempted to get a few photos with my 55mm lens (my 70-300mm are being repaired) but they didn’t turn out at the distance I was taking them at. If you want to see some great pictures, check out rarebird.org

Mountain Bluebird

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw a mountain bluebird today on Green Valley Drive in Toledo, near the stream that bisects the road between Heatherdowns and Glendale. Our property abuts the stream and is heavily wooded. It was sitting on our gravel driveway when I pulled in. I was able to watch it for about a full minute from a distance of no more than five feet in front of my vehicle. When it flew into the trees, I came in and checked an online bird identification guide. There is no question that it was a mountain bluebird I saw.